There’s a reason breakfast is called the most important meal of the day – better weight control, more energy, and a lower risk of hitting the morning slump. Begin each day with fresh, whole grain foods that are packed with energizing nutrients and revitalizing flavours, like this recipe for healthy waffles made with hemp seeds and lemon zest!
Hemp seeds are an easy way to boost the nutritional value of almost any breakfast, including cereals, flapjacks, waffles, and smoothies. They are a source of vegetarian protein, fibre, antioxidants, and the omega-3 fatty acid ALA. In addition, sweet and aromatic fruits such as lemon, pineapple, and strawberries, are convenient and delicious breakfast ingredients that can help wake up your senses.
Healthy Waffles With Hemp Seed and Lemon
This recipe makes approximately four waffles.
With the right ingredients waffles make a healthy and satisfying breakfast – you can even make them ahead to freeze for convenient grab-and-go toaster waffles! Just remember to skip the butter and syrup in favour of fresh, nutrient-rich alternatives, such as fruit and yogurt purees, nut butters, or cottage cheese.
- Heat waffle iron on medium heat setting
- Whisk flour, hemp seed, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl
- Whisk milk, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, and egg together in a medium bowl
- Add wet mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until well combined (do not over mix!)
- Spoon about ½ cup of batter onto the hot waffle iron
- Cook on medium heat until crispy
- Serve hot with your favourite topping or freeze to eat later as convenient toaster waffles
Optional Topping Directions
- Blend strawberries, yogurt, and honey in a food processor. Serve drizzled over warm waffles or in a bowl for dipping.