Spring is a fantastic time of the year to reawaken your senses with new recipes and fresh, wholesome ingredients. Get started with this refreshing take on the classic, gut-friendly thirst quencher, switchel.
Why You Should Be Drinking Switchel
If you have yet to try switchel, spring is a perfect time to start. This age-old beverage was the thirst quencher of choice for American farmers in the 1800s and is now regaining popularity as a healthy alternative to sports drinks and pop.
Traditionally, switchel includes apple cider vinegar, ginger root, and lemon, all of which have nutritional and digestive benefits. Natural sweeteners, such as maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup help even out the flavour. Over ice, on a hot and sunny day, this drink is pretty close to perfection.
Recipe: Strawberry Switchel
The trick to a great batch of switchel is fresh ginger and lemon. While you can use store-bought apple cider vinegar, it’s super easy to make your own! This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup ginger root, freshly sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 strawberries, sliced
- In a medium pot, heat water and ginger to a boil
- Remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for about 15 minutes
- In a glass jug, combine vinegar, maple syrup, lemon juice, and strawberries
- Remove ginger from the pot and pour the infused water into the jug
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least one hour
- Serve over ice. Enjoy!
Did you know that Apple Cider Vinegar can also be taken in capsule form? It’s such a simple and convenient option for aiding digestion and increasing your intake of naturally occurring potassium.