This vegan-friendly alternative to scrambled eggs is both delicious and nourishing. This recipe is made with extra firm tofu, which provides 10 g of protein, 77 g of calcium, and 2 g of iron per 100 g serving . Like some varieties of eggs, tofu is a source of healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids, selenium, and phosphorus – but with no cholesterol!
Tofu has the remarkable ability to take on the flavor and color of other ingredients. In this recipe, turmeric adds a yellow “egg-like” color, while garlic, chili, and cumin add a warm and savory flavor to this breakfast dish.
A Tasty Tofu Scramble
Give your classic morning “eggs” a delicious twist with this tasty tofu scramble! This recipe serves 4.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (about 454 g) extra firm or firm tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- In a small bowl, mix cumin, turmeric, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and water, then set aside.
- Using a skillet, sauté the onion and oil on medium heat until lightly browned.
- Crumble the tofu into bite size chunks and sauté with the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the spice mixture over the tofu and stir until evenly coated.
- Add the nutritional yeast and cook for about 3 minutes.
Enjoy with toast, tomatoes, sautéed greens, or even on their own.
 USDA. “Basic Report: 16212, Vitasoy USA, Organic Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu.” National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28. Web. 4 May 2016.